Documents required for a Portugal Golden Visa
Here you can see the full list of documents you need to apply for Portuguese citizenship. Each and every one of them is important. So study them carefully not to miss anything important.
- Birth certificate issued within the last 6 months (notarized copy + apostille)
Note! There is no such requirement in the official sources. However, sometimes SEF asks to send a more recent copy when submitting old documents
- International passport /Passport (all documents should be issued within the last 6 months)
You need to provide a high-quality scan of all pages (sent to mail or chat, no need to print)
- Police clearance
A certificate from the country of citizenship is required for all applicants over the age of 16.
- Marriage certificate issued within the last 6 months (notarized copy + apostille)
- Declaration of cohabitation (if marriage is not registered)
A notarial form stating how many years you have been running a common household (Notarial statement + apostille).
Note! This requirement is also not listed in the official sources. However, if the marriage is not registered officially, then we recommend that you show the SEF as many documents as possible proving the joint household.
- Certificate of cohabitation
Document from a local authority stating that you have been living together for a certain time (Original document).
Note! This document is also not required officially. The alternative is a joint tenancy agreement, joint bank account, hotel reservations for the last 2 years, etc.
- Certificate of marital status (Original document + apostille)
- Certificate of graduation (Notarial copy + apostille)
- Proof of dependency (for children)
Notarized letter confirming financial dependence of children written by the main applicant. Examples of accompanying documents: bank statements confirming the transfer of expenses for living, education, etc (The original document for children over 18).
- Proof of dependency (for parents)
Documents from any bank, Portuguese or foreign, on transfers to the parent's account, pension certificate, certificate of cohabitation, etc.
- Personal tax reference number (Notarial copy + apostille)
- Permission to obtain a permanent residence (for a child)
Consent is given by the other parent who is not participating in the program. A sample document is sent upon request (Notarial copy + apostille).
- A power of attorney for a child
(Notarial copy + apostille)
Consent is given by the other parent who is not participating in the program. A sample document is sent upon request.
When you attach documents on the API portal, they should be in PDF format and a maximum of 4MB. In addition, the documents should be either in English or Portuguese. Otherwise, you need to send them to a certified translator and notarize this translation.